Bergamot Essential Oil
Bergamot Essential Oil is extracted from the rind of orange fruit of the bergamot tree (Citrus Aurantium Bergamia). Bergamot is the hybrid of lemon and bitter orange tree. It is still uncertain how bergamot reached Calabria region in the Southern Italy, the region of world’s largest production of bergamot oil today. One version is that bergamot was brought to Italy by Christopher Columbus from the Canary Islands and first grown in Bergamo from where its name originated. Other version claims that bergamot tree is native to Calabria region as a result of mutations from other species. Bergamot is now also cultivated in France, Greece, Turkey, Morocco and Ivory Coast.
Bergamot Essential Oil aroma can be characterised as a fresh, lightly sweet and fruity citrus scent with floral overtones. It is widely used in perfume, cosmetics, food and confectionery industries.
Bergamot oil boasts powerful antibacterial, antifungal, antiseptic, analgesic, antimicrobial and antibiotic benefits.
Benefits for skin and hair:
- beautifies oily skin – cleanses, unclogs and diminishes the pores, balances natural sebum production.
- reduces scars, acne marks and blemishes, lightens dark spots, leaves an even and toned complexion.
- treats minor cuts, scrapes and wounds, accelerates the healing process.
- relieves pain, reduces nerve sensitivity easing pain in the injured area, helps relieve joint pain and muscle ache.
- works as deodorant, helps control body odors by keeping the bacterial population low.
- reduces itching and scalp infections, useful for dandruff control.
Bergamot oil treats emotional tension, stress and anxiety, lifts spirit and offers optimism and energy.
Like others citrus oils, Bergamot oil may induce photosensitivity that may lead to sunburn.
This valuable essential oil is included in Atlantis Skincare Eye Cream with Hyaluronic acid.